The above image is part of a project I have finished recently.
It was produced with 3Ds Max and V-Ray. However, I have also got the same version in mental ray.
The real focus was mainly on the workflow…as opposed to the rendering engine or platform used.
In fact please click this link HERE to see some of my most recent renders produced while using a variety of rendering engines and platforms.
Most Projects should start from the pre-production phase. However, this specific project took little or no time for me to jump right into the production phase, followed by Post-Production process.
The Pre-Production process was fairly quick due to the fact that, the client had already supplied me with a photo reference and all the necessary information to achieve acceptable results.
Had I not been given the photo-reference by the client, I would have had to go through the entire process of Pre-Production, which consists of: sourcing for striking photos (Flikr, books, Google, etc) and help the client choose (i.e. liaise) the best photo/s to be used as reference for lighting, cameras, colors, etc.
This vital Pre-Production stage often takes from one hour, to few days, depending on the project.
Please check my latest manual book HERE entitled “3d realism practical and easy workflows” to see the entire in-depth process of Pre-Production, Production and Post-Production.
The initial brief was to incorporate the client’s bespoke design and lighting in a completely new office space. For that, I had first "pleaded" with the client to provide me with a photo reference/s of one of their existing office design to be used as a reference.
As expected with most clients, they had several photos of some of their previous projects, which resembled this new proposed space.
From that point it was pretty straight forward:
In fact they were so cooperative that they started supplying me with physical and photo references of specific surfaces while I was also using their main photo reference to create other materials.
Once finished, the following stage was to begin matching the overall lighting based on the main photo reference.
Nevertheless, I have used the usual technique of enabling a basic non reflective override material as the basis to light the entire scene.
While lighting, I had also ensured that there was a clear definition between bright and dark areas in order to achieve Depth in the scene.
The habit of test rendering each new light added in the scene is one of key techniques to achieve the perfect depth.
The IES light pattern chosen may not be coherent with the ceiling light model. However, it was specifically chosen by the client to make the overall image more appealing and “sellable”.
Furthermore, in order to achieve soft shadows with V-Ray IES lights, I have opened and edited the numerical values of the IES web file.
Also, this new edited file was saved under a different name.
The subsequent stage was to tweak the global V-Ray settings and render the final shot with key render elements.
Finally, I have used key Post-Production techniques such as “Curves”; “Levels”; “Vignetting” and many more effects to match the render closely to the main photo reference supplied.
The above described process allowed me to finish the project within the allocated time and budget…with little or no production “bottlenecks”.
I hope you liked the final result as much as the client did!!